Have you ever wanted to give your dog or cat a grape or its shriveled counterpart, the raisin? Well, don’t. It turns out that these fruits are actually toxic to our furry friends. These tiny fruits cause poisoning and even death in the most serious cases. A local veterinarian talks about grape and raisin poisoning in pets below.
It may be surprising to learn that it isn’t known exactly why grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs and cats. Some believe that a fungal byproduct, called mycotoxin, is to blame. Others believe that pesticides sprayed on the fruit may be responsible. And, to mix it up a bit, some pets are able to eat grapes and raisins without getting sick. Whatever the cause, it’s just too risky to feed these fruits to your pet.
Signs of grape or raisin poisoning usually manifest within a few hours after your pet eats the fruit. Clinical symptoms include increased thirst, lethargy, vomiting, and diarrhea. Renal failure, the medical term for kidney failure, can occur without treatment. That’s why it’s essential to keep your vet’s phone number on hand to call in case of an emergency. Bring your pet to the animal hospital immediately if you know or suspect that they’ve eaten grapes or raisins.
The goal of treatment is to get rid of the toxin in your pet’s system as quickly as possible. This might be achieved by induced vomiting, or activated charcoal might be given to absorb the leftover toxin in your pet’s stomach. Pets that have progressed to kidney failure might require intravenous fluid therapy or even blood transfusions in the most serious cases.
You want to prevent grape or raisin poisoning rather than having to quickly respond to an emergency. Fortunately, that’s as simple as restricting your pet’s access to grapes and raisins at all times. Put them in the refrigerator, or closed cabinets or containers, and out of your pet’s reach. Also, be careful of foods that contain grapes or raisins, like salads or desserts.
Do you want more advice on foods your pet shouldn’t eat? Give your pet clinic’s office a call today!